Tails and Tales Summer Learning Challenge
Are you looking for a way to keep your family engaged in reading over the summer break? Curious about how you can make a difference in our community or looking to get kids involved in community oriented activities? Maybe you’re competitive and really want to win prizes or earn brag tags to show off your reading progress. Whatever your motivation, our program can meet your needs!
Log online: http://pawlinglibraryny10.readsquared.com/
Download and print a paper tracker or stop by our desk for a free copy. Then, for every 5 minutes spent learning or reading, color in an icon. When the whole page is complete, bring it to the library to redeem your prizes and contribute to our community goal.
Here’s how it works
Want competition? Minutes read between June 21 and August 21 will be logged for three teams, the kids, teens, and adults! The team that reads the most minutes will be crowned Summer Reading Champions, and earn extra raffle tickets for the awesome prizes we’re giving away at our end of summer Wizard of Oz family Celebration! The 2020 champions were the kids, but 2018 & 2019 champions, the teen team may not let them hold onto that title for long.
Community Mindfulness is also part of our program this year. The minutes logged by all three teams will be totaled together as we all work towards our community goal of 20,000 minutes read. If our community can track 20,000 minutes, we’ll have enough minutes to buy a community prize! This year, our community prize is a new marketplace play shop for our children’s area.
This shop will be a permanent fixture, where families can learn and play. Plus, any reader who tracks minutes and helps us reach our goal will get their name featured on our Recognition plaque on the new play area. Every family who uses it will know that your hard work reading helped make the play area possible!
Plus, there are other awesome prizes up for grabs!
- For every 60 minutes read, earn an extra raffle ticket for the big prizes we’ll give away at the end of the summer (Max 10 bonus tickets)
- For every 150 minutes read: participants earn a brag tag, showing off how much work they’ve put in. There are 10 to collect–how many can you earn? Plus, you’ll also receive free family tickets to use at any upcoming Danbury Westerners Baseball Game (as supply is available).
- For every 300 minutes read: Pick a free book! We’ll have books for all ages and stages that you get to keep!
Raffle Prizes at end of Summer
- Kindle Fire
- Sunflour Bakery Gift Card
- Pawling Chamber of Commerce Gift Certificate
- Science box projects
- Opportunity to dunk our librarians like Phil or Neena in a dunk tank