Presented by Dr. Somesh N. Kaushik
Ayurvedic and Naturopathic Physician
Tuesday, November 8
Registration is required. You can register below or by contacting Donald, our Adult Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.
The integumentary system is an organ system that protects the body from damage, loss of water, or abrasion from outside. This body system includes human skin, hair, and nails.
* Acne – Acne is a disorder of the hair and oil glands presenting itself as red bumps on the face, chest, and/or back.
* Warts – Warts are bumps caused by a viral infection most commonly on the hands and feet. Vitiligo – With this condition, there is a loss of skin color that appears in blotches.
* Eczema – This is a condition that presents as red, itchy, flaky skin.
* Vitiligo – With this condition, there is a loss of skin color that appears in blotches.
* Psoriasis – This inflammatory skin condition presents as red, itchy plaques that occur most commonly on the knees and elbows.
* Melanocytic Nevus – This is a usually noncancerous disorder of pigment-producing skin cells commonly called a birth mark or mole.
* Basal Cell Carcinoma – With this type of cancer, the skin has a slight pearl color which rarely spreads to other parts of the body but must be treated.
* Squamous Cell Carcinoma – This skin cancer shows as a rough-surfaced skin-colored lesion, which causes death in about 10 percent of affected patients.
* Melanoma – Melanoma is a skin cancer presenting as a dark, changing, bleeding skin spot which can be fatal in 35 percent of patients diagnosed.
Ayurveda investigates the root cause of these issues and treats the whole body accordingly.
About our presenter: Dr. Somesh N. Kaushik is the owner and chief medical practitioner of Dr. Kaushick’s Ayurvedic and Naturopathic Clinic in Cross River, NY.
With over 35 years’ experience as an Ayurvedic physician, Dr. Kaushik’s medical training is extensive. He is one of the most experienced Ayurvedic physicians in North America and is the recipient of the Dhanwantri Award, his profession’s highest honor. Dr. Kaushik recently founded the Institute for the Advancement of Ayurvedic Sciences, a research and teaching institution.
After completing the 6 ½ years of schooling for his Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS) from Kurukshetra University, India, in 1983, Dr. Kaushik worked as an Ayurvedic Medical Officer for two years.
Upon moving to the United States in 1985, Dr. Kaushik received his Masters of Public Health (MPH) and Masters of Public Administration (MPA) from the University of Alabama in 1988. He then worked as an Epidemiologist and Director of HIV/AIDS Sero-surveillance Program with the Alabama Department of Public Health in Birmingham while maintaining an Ayurvedic practice.
In 1999 he moved to Connecticut and received his Doctor of Naturopathy (ND) from the University of Bridgeport, CT in 2003. He taught Ayurvedic Medicine and Public Health at the College of Naturopathic Medicine, University of Bridgeport, as well as serving as the Director of Admissions there. He has been a faculty member with the University of Bridgeport, Division of Health Sciences since 2001. Dr. Kaushik co-founded the Institute for Ayurvedic and Naturopathic Therapies in Fairfield, CT in 2006.
Dr. Kaushik lectures on Ayurvedic Medicine at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine, Portland, OR, as well as at various national and international symposiums and events. He also offers courses, workshops, lectures, and training in Ayurvedic medicine locally. Dr. Kaushik is an approved continuing education provider for Yoga teachers through the YACEP (Yoga Alliance for Continuing Education Providers) and has achieved the highest Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher certificate having completed 500 hours of training (E-RYT 500). He includes therapeutic Yoga in his practice.
Each year, Dr. Kaushik and his family travel to India to set up camps offering free medical care for underserved populations. He’d like to expand this service to other countries as well.
Dr. Kaushik brings his unique background as an Ayurvedic and Naturopathic practitioner with experience in public health and health education to this locality. He welcomes you into his wellness community.
Top photograph by Jeremy Bishop