Calling All Potential Library Trustees
Would you like to:
Help make decisions about your library’s future?
Have a voice in charting the direction of your library?
Become a community leader?
If you can answer yes to any one of these questions, please consider joining the Pawling Library’s Board of Trustees. Men and women of all ages are encouraged to apply to join the board and become an advocate for library in our community. The responsibilities for trustees are small in number but broad in scope and include:
• Shaping the mission of the library;
• Adopting policies and rules that govern the library;
• Regularly plan and evaluate the library’s service program;
• Exercise fiduciary responsibility for the use of public and private funds;
• Hire and regularly evaluate the library director;
• Secure adequate funding for the library;
• Maintain a facility that meets the library’s and community’s needs;
• Promote the library in the local community and in society in general;
• Conduct the business of the library in an open and ethical manner in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and with respect for the institution, the staff, and public.
Trustees attend regular meetings that are held on the second Thursday of the month at 6:45 PM in the library’s annex building, plus additional committee meetings. Prior library knowledge is not necessary, but experience in law, finance, fundraising or other non-profit organizations is very helpful. The regular meetings of the Board of Trustees are open to the public.